Sympathy Messages and Quotes
It isn't always easy to craft the perfect message in honor of a friend, co-worker or loved one who has passed away – in fact, there might not be a “perfect message” – so we have compiled some examples to inspire you, lead you down the right path, or simply use as your own.
Shiva and Condolence Gift Messages
Below are examples of personalized messages that can be added to the Shiva or sympathy gift you are sending.
- Sending love, thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this tough time.
- Please accept my/our sincere sympathies.
- My thoughts and prayers are with you as you mourn.
- Our hearts go out to you during this difficult time.
- May his/her memory be a blessing. Our hearts are with you.
- A small token of our endless love and thoughts.
- We are here for you and your family, now and forever.
- Here’s to [name] and his/her everlasting memory.
- Your [friend/loved one] loved this/these; we send them with him/her in mind.
- May this help make the mourning process even a shred less difficult.
“Plant a Tree” Personal Messages
These messages and personalized sentiments contain 60 characters or less and can be added to any Tree Certificate in the "enter message" space.
- A living tribute to a beautiful and generous spirit.
- An eternal memory that will continue to grow.
- May each new leaf represent my ever-growing love for you.
- May these trees grow and blossom in his/her memory.
- May these trees stand in tribute to a life well lived.
- May this tree provide shade and comfort as your mother/father did.
- May this tribute celebrate the reflection of his/her life, love and light.
- Stand strong in the wind.
- These trees will grow and prosper as [name of loved one] did in life.
- Your strong roots form an eternal foundation.
General Condolence and Sympathy Messages
- [Name of loved one] will be missed dearly.
- A mother’s hug lasts long after she lets go.
- Forever remembered, forever missed.
- His/her memory will reside forever in my/our heart(s.)
- In loving memory.
- In memory of an amazing, one-of-a-kind man/woman.
- In memory of [name], a person we were blessed to know and love.
- May his/her memory be a blessing to all those he/she knew.
- May you always hold loving memories of your mother/father/sister/etc.
- May your [loved one’s] memory bring you comfort and peace.
- May he/she/they rest in peace.
- Sending all our love at this difficult time.
- The ones we love are never gone, they live within our hearts.
- The people we love never go away for they live in our hearts.
- There is no death, only a change of worlds.
- We are sorry beyond words for your loss.
- We will miss him/her, but never forget him/her.
- What we have once enjoyed we can never lose.
- Wishing you loving memories to forever hold in your heart.
- You/He/She/They left this world loved and will be loved beyond.
- “May flight of Angels sing thee to thy rest.” -Shakespeare
- “Life every man holds dear; but the dear man holds honor far more precious dear than life.” -Shakespeare
- “God is our refuge and our strength.” -Psalm 46:1
- “A man who won’t die for something is not fit to live.” -Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.” -George Eliot
- “In three words, I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: It goes on.” –Robert Frost
- “A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.” –Charles Darwin
- “Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” –William Wallace
- “He who has a ‘why’ to live can bear almost any ‘how.’” –Friedrich Nietzsche
- “It is not length of life, but depth of life.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson